What is TMJ Dysfunction (disordered function)?
Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) disordered function, refers to a condition that affects the jaw joint and the surrounding muscles and teeth. Proper diagnosis and treatment is important for eliminating or improving this condition and relieving symptoms caused by TMJ disorder.
Background information: The lower jaw (mandible) is inherently a gliding / sliding suspensory system. It is designed for pulsed loading (chewing), however it can suffer wear and tear, muscle soreness and joint (TMJ) dysfunction like clicking and or locking when placed under unconscious compression. (ie. clenching for periods of time)
Symptoms of TMJ Dysfunction
- Jaw pain or tenderness
- Clicking or popping sounds when moving jaw
- Locking of the jaw point
- Difficulty opening or closing the mouth
- Headaches, including migraines
- Earaches or pain around the ears
- Facial pain
- Associated neck and shoulder pain
- Changes in bite or tooth alignment
- Facial muscle stiffness or spasms
Contributing factors of TMJ Dysfunction
Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Dysfunction, often referred to as TMJ Disorder can be associated with a wide variety of factors. These factors may contribute to the development of this condition; it is important to understand the possible root causes of TMJ Dysfunction. Commonly being cognisant of:
- Bruxism (Teeth Grinding or Clenching)
- Stress and Anxiety
- Malocclusion (Misaligned Bite)
- Trauma or Injury
- Lifestyle Factors
Understanding these potential causes is an important step in addressing TMJ Dysfunction. It’s essential to consult with a healthcare professional who specialises in TMJ issues to determine the specific factors at play.
How We Treat TMJ Dysfunction
- Consultation: After receiving your referral from your general dentist, book an appointment to discuss your TMJ symptoms with our expert.
- Diagnosis: Using our advanced technology, we’ll identify the severity and address the root cause of your TMJ.
- Personalised Treatment Plan: We will suggest a non-surgical or surgical (rarely) treatment plan based on the diagnosis.
- Treatment: Undergo safe and effective treatments at our Brisbane Oral and Maxillofacial practice.
- Follow-up: We will plan with you to schedule regular check-ins to ensure your recovery is on track, making any adjustments if necessary.
Why Choose Denticine for TMJ Treatment?
Your well-being is our medical staff’s top priority. At Denticine, we’re confident in our ability to provide relief from TMJ Dysfunction. Our surgeon Dr Mark Tuffley is an experienced specialist dedicated to providing personalised care, addressing your specific needs and concerns.
We understand how TMJ Dysfunction can disrupt your quality of life. By choosing Denticine we offer exceptional care for our patients and are trusted specialists in Oral and Maxillofacial services in Brisbane.
Book an Appointment
It’s time to gain control of the persistent jaw pain and discomfort from TMJ Dysfunction. Book your appointment today with Denticine and allow our experts to guide you on your journey to TMJ Dysfunction relief.